9 September 2011

Do I have sleep apnea?

It's been a slow week in cancer-ville so I thought I'd do just a little update on what happened this week. Since I set my surgical team and date last week I've just had a couple of items to take care of. All of the testing is done, so I just have to wait around until my big day.

The hospital called yesterday to take my health history and do my pre-registration. The nurse asked me some questions so the anesthesiologist has a better idea of how I'll react to the general anesthesia. Aside from detailing every surgical procedure I've ever had from removing a bone in my foot at 12 to my endometrial ablation a couple of years ago, they ask about sleep apnea... a lot: Do you have sleep apnea? No. Do you have a c-pak or breathing apparatus or oxygen while you sleep? Like, you mean for sleep apnea? No. Have you ever had sleep apnea? No. Do you have trouble with stopping breathing while you sleep? Um, no, I don't have sleep apnea. Do you snore? Yes. Does your husband say you stop breathing while you sleep? No. Have you even awoken from not breathing? No. And this went on for about six more questions, like she was trying to trip me up or something. It was like she didn't believe me because how would I know if I had sleep apnea or not since it happens IN YOUR SLEEP!

Enough of the inane.

So this morning after I dropped off the kids at school, I kept on walking, as I like to do. I walked down (or up, depending on how you look at it,) to Starbucks and met the 'other' high profile cancer mom with kids in my school. (Based on sheer numbers, I assume there are more, but we seem to be the most vocal about it.) Sara and I come from different places, and are at different stages in our journeys. We are also headed in different directions, but right here, right now we are intersecting in a rather harmonious way. Her blog is here: Tablegrace. It was really wonderful to talk to her.

The other thing I did this week was find a venue for girls' night out next week. I'd like to say hey to my homegirls before I am out of circulation for a while. So next Wednesday it's Ta-ta, Ta-tas, with Tapas. If I missed you on the FB or email invites, no worries, just let me know and I'll get you all the details.

So many people have asked how they can help us out as I go through surgery and beyond. If you wish to offer support, please send an email to suchangels@gmail.com with whatever support you wish to offer: meals, errands, shlepping kids, laundry, grocery shopping, child care/play dates etc. You will then receive instructions on how to access our handy-dandy Cozi calendar for scheduling all of the above. Patricia Young has graciously offered to be my volunteer coordinator. She'll be matching resources to needs. I have such awesome friends! I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.