22 August 2011

What's in a name?

One of the secrets of life is to make stepping stones out of stumbling blocks. ~Jack Penn

This quote could have been the inspiration for my blog name... but it isn't. A friend sent me this quote when she saw the name of my blog. Doesn't it fit beautifully with what I'm doing here?


I chose the name Stepping Stones because that is what it feels like to me. As cliched as it sounds, it does feel like a journey, as though I'm on the shore of a lake and I see a stepping stone. I step onto it, and while I know there are other stones in front of me, I'm not sure which path will take me to the other side of this wide black lake. I can see the other shore, but I can't get there from here until the next step presents itself and becomes visible. So for once I am NOT charging ahead. Instead I'm doing research on the many different choices I have in front of me and I'm pretty patiently waiting for test results, doctor appointments and other answers to my questions whether by email to friends who have been on this journey or through blogs and other literature. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the 'Breast Care Coordinator' at Kettering, to see when is their next available 'Navigating the Breast Cancer Journey' class. (I bet you $10 and a healthy boob there will be pink involved.)

Whether it's test results or doctor appointments for advice/options, I am at the mercy of time, which is not a good feeling since I'm in a rather time-sensitive situation. OK, this graphic is kind of dramatic, and I must say, with the breathing room Dr. Boob gave us last week, I do not feel I am hurting my chances of recovery by waiting for a few more weeks to have surgery. If I had local access to a comprehensive cancer center, (Markey Center at UK, James Center at the OSU,) I would probably already be prepped, waiting to roll on in to the OR. But I feel my decision to deal with this aggressively, along with my willingness and acceptance of drastic measures will be protection enough against recurrence.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.