11 August 2011

I show up bright and early for my biopsy. I get lost again. For those of you who know me, you understand what this means. I NEVER get lost. I'm beginning to think I'm in denial. I finally end up asking someone in the hospital where the heck the office is. I sign in and wait. My appointment was at 7:30. The office opens at 8:00, yet somehow they manage to be over an hour behind. I finally get into the ultrasound room at a quarter to nine. Thank goodness for Text Twist.

The technician is very good, explaining everything and walking me through what is happening/will be happening/will be happening after. In fact, when I think about it everyone I've dealt with so far has been patient, compassionate, professional and skilled.
She starts by doing a whole new ultra sound on the left boob again, focusing on the mass behind my nipple, and then working out from there. And yes, all the same questions, answers. I ask about the multiple storm centers. She tells me they are other masses but they don't look suspicious so they are just going after the one that is irregular. She gets me set up, and gets the doc who is doing the biopsy. The doc comes in and further explains everything again. They double check my name, birth date, which boob they are cutting etc. Everything's a go and they start.

I'm propped on my right side with my left arm over my head, at this angle I can totally see the screen as she's putting the anesthetic needle in, and then the shunts they use to guide the biopsy needle. The doc is having trouble pushing through the mass - it's very fibrous, and I'm imagining this type of thing, (see pic) and she manages to do 7 passes. When they are done, they insert a small titanium clip into the mass so they know where it is for future reference. She sends me over for another mammogram so they can verify the clip placement.

Ironically it shows up as a pink ribbon shape.

The technician is kind enough to show me the samples, which look like half inch long white worms floating in the sterile solution. She also shows me how the biopsy needle works and by the way, those are some freaking huge needles. I'm glad she didn't show me before the procedure. I get dressed, go over post care with the technician and she tells me I should have findings in 3 - 5 business days.
I stuff an ice pack in my bra and immediately drive to a jewelry store to buy myself a pair of new earrings. Nice, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.