15 August 2011

Monday I'm walking on eggshells. I'm tied to my phone, waiting for a phone call. I can't concentrate on anything and I'm eating for two - me and my potential cancer. I get the call from Dr. T at a little after 4:00 pm.
She tells me that the biopsy is positive and my heart starts beating really fast and hard. It's so loud in my ears I can't hear her anymore. My mind races forward and I have to force myself to return to the conversation.
I grab a pencil and paper and have to ask her again for the findings. I know Dan is going to want to research this so the Greek-ier the terms, the better. Dr. T is a little confused by the report. There are two findings: Intraductal Carcinoma, in situ AND invasive. She asks if they biopsied more than one mass. Only one was done, but evidently it's a busy little buggar. I ask, "What's the next step?"

She tells me I need a surgeon. I ask for her recommendation and she is hesitant to give me one, suggesting I should ask around to find one I would be happy with. Hmmm, I'm thinking. How do I find a good surgeon? I don't know where to begin. Should I ask them to hold out their hands so I can see if they shake? I tell her that I've been satisfied with her past recommendations so I need a name from her. She refers me to a surgeon at Wright State Physicians. It's a teaching hospital, breast cancer is one of their specialties, yada, yada, yada.
She tells me she'll send my report over to the surgeon in the morning and I should get a call from them tomorrow. And If I don't get a prompt appointment, I need to call her office back because she wants me to see the surgeon this week.
I start sending out emails, phone calls and posts to gather my support system. And I google my cancer type.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.