20 July 2012

This time Last Year...

It has been one year and one day since I saw Dr. T about my bronchitis, (and was subsequently diagnosed with breast cancer.) I am officially, thankfully, and reasonably back to where I was before my diagnosis. I've lost all the weight I gained and my cardio fitness is comparable.  I look healthy, my hair has grown back, and if you didn't know I had cancer last year, you'd be hard pressed to guess it.

I am undoubtably mentally stronger.  Even as I struggle with acceptance of my permanent disfigurement, I know that eventually it will become my new normal.  I can handle it.

Lots of people have commented on my great attitude and my ability to bounce back, my way of handling this challenge and how I worked through the tough spots.  I don't feel as though it was very difficult.  I had a lot of support and help from others.  Yes, chemo sucked, but I was lucky to have an extremely short course - 12 weeks.  And when I know there is a limit, a time-frame, an ending, I can move through most challenges.

Everyone has heard the adage that God doesn't give you anything you can't handle.  I don't necessarily believe that.  Rather, I feel most people can meet their challenges simply because they have to.  I just did what I needed to do.  Much like others who have situations that call for extra effort.  Everybody has to deal with stuff that sucks.  Society has decided that cancer is at the top of the suck-heap.  I agree it sucks, but I can think of worse things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.