3 November 2011

Cramming it in


Imagine you knew when you were going to get the flu.  As if your doctor said to you, "Well, you are healthy now, but in two weeks, you'll be sick as a dog and unable to get out of bed."  How would you plan things differently?  Would you carry on as normal or would you try to prepare for it?  Would you alter your scheduled activities around that week or leave it as is and see what you could do?  Or would you even want to know, seeing as the anticipation of feeling bad would be hanging over your head for that time?  Having chemo is like this.

For the next couple of months, I have a bad week, an okay week and a good week.  This is my good week right now and I've scheduled 5 training sessions at the gym, and set a goal of 2 - 3 miles walking a day.  (Thank goodness N was sick yesterday so I had to cancel the gym.)  I walked a mile and I did a bunch of house chores - laundry, trash and recycling, un-decorating for Halloween.  I'm sore from the previous gym session and from stretching to un-decorate and I'm getting ready to head out to the gym again this morning.  People keep telling me to not overdo it.  I'm not trying to bench press my weight here, people.  I am taking it easy doing one or two muscles at a time, with light weights, just trying to get some tone back.  As for the walking - it's WALKING.  I go between 3 - 3.8 miles per hour on a 2% incline.  I am not pushing it too hard, but I am pushing myself to do something after being in bed for 6 weeks.  It's hard, I'm tired, I have to do it.

What am I thinking?  I just feel like I have to cram in as much as I can while I'm feeling well.  Laying around in bed for days makes my body hurt.  If I don't get some activity in while I can, I'll feel worse.  So this is the week.  I have chemo on Tuesday and I want to feel as strong and healthy as possible going into it.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.