29 September 2011

Nuts and Bolts Update

The type of Chemotherapy I will undergo is T C, which is Taxotere and Cyclophosphamide. The Taxotere damages a component in the cancer cells when they split. Something about the mitochondria. Cyclophosphamide interferes with cell DNA by linking guanine causing cell death. This has been in wide spread use for about four years. I will have four treatments, each three weeks apart. I will lose my hair, which is probably a good thing since I've been coloring it so long I don't know what it really looks like. I'm hoping it grows back red, but a close second would be if I go a nice salt & pepper color all around instead of the grey patches that prompted me to color it in the first place.

After I finish the chemo, I'll graduate to hormone therapy. My tumor checked in at 90% positive for estrogen receptors. Tamoxifen for five years is the protocol to starve whatever is left into deep hibernation, if not cell death. The tamoxifen binds to the receptors so the cells can't feed off of estrogen. They do the hormone therapy after chemo so the cancer is still active when it gets hit with the chemo drugs. Whatever is left after that then gets starved.

I've had family help since before my surgery and that will continue until October 11th. I really hope the steps I took yesterday will assist me in healing at a more appropriate rate. I've given up the surgical bra in favor of a couple of 6 inch ace bandages. That seems to be doing the trick as I had very little drainage this morning. The issue is my skin sliding over the muscles in the areas where breast tissue was removed. The ace bandages seem to be preventing this WAY better than the surgical bra did. I have some different discomfort from this, but it's not bad. (It makes my left armpit throb.) I had hoped to make it to temple this morning (and last night) for Rosh Hashona, but that didn't happen. Kim took the kids this morning and I'm sitting up on my iPad doing this post. Typing on the wireless keyboard is not bad, I'm fairly well supported in my recliner and I don't feel my chest skin sliding around. I was shocked at the reduction in drainage this morning. I really didn't understand the healing process before it was detailed to me yesterday. I need to be down to less than 30 cc's per side in a 24 hour period for two days before the drains can be removed. It's looking good today so far.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.