28 September 2011

Arrrrrrgh!


What a demoralizing day!  But I had a nap and some cake and I feel a little better now.  We met with my new oncologist today, whom I will dub Dr. Kimo, (get it?  Chemo?!?)  Dr. Kimo graciously fit me in today in spite of trying to get ready to leave on vacation, so his schedule was a mess. Dan and I were there for 2 1/2 hours total, of which 1/2 hour was actual appointment time. Once in there, I stated my preference for an aggressive course of treatment, and they ran with it.

Dr. Kimo said that because of the size of my tumors, it was entirely reasonable to expect to do chemo, without doing the risk assessment of the Oncotype DX. So we aren't even doing that testing. Dan was a little disappointed, as he wanted a firm risk of recurrence percentage. Dr. Kimo said that given the existing pathology report my risk would be medium, (within the range of 15 - 40% ).  With Chemo and Tamoxifen that will be reduced to below 10%, which is what we were looking for.

The Doctor then explained what kind of chemo I'd have, which I totally forget and have to look up. He did allay our fears that it might be medieval and I would feel like crap the whole time. I know it's called C/T and I'll look it up and explain it in the next little while. It's a fairly new treatment, within the last four years, and apparently not as toxic in that it doesn't cause heart malfunction. Yay!! I had a blood test before I left and my first chemo appointment is scheduled for October 18th. It'll take between 3-5 hours and if you have any suggestions for music to kill cells by, please email Dan your list of selections. He's in charge of my iPod.

Onto Two-Drain, who wasn't Two-Drain, because he is on vacation, but was the Two-Drain Substitute from his office. Evidently, I misinterpreted the instructions last Thursday. I still have two drains. My drains are still draining much more than they should be. This is happening because I'm doing too much. TDS, (Two-Drain Substitute), explained in excruciating detail how the healing process works, including why my drains get plugged. 'Nuff said, it's gross, you don't want to know. But suffice it to say, his instructions were, "Be a VEGETABLE for the next two (2) weeks". I am not to use my arms at all. "Aha", you say, "what are you doing typing this?" But I am not. Kim is typing, I am dictating...and I hate it.

So the new regime is; sit all day, do nothing, no walking, no holding the iPad while in bed, no playing games on my iPhone, no just grabbing something, and definitely no rehab exercises. Guess I'll be watching some movies. If, I manage to remain still and quiet for 5 days and my drainage reduces to acceptable levels, I will get my drains out on Monday. Dan thinks it's not going to happen.

Postscript: You get no pictures because I am demoralized.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.