31 August 2011

Nuts and Bolts Today

Today we got a few things out of the way and moved forward. I met with a second reconstruction surgeon and we will use her. I feel she is every bit as competent as Two-Drain, but her office is more convenient, she is more personable and she listened to what I had to say. She prefers to do boob surgeries on a Monday since she has the whole week to watch how the healing is going, but with Dr. Boob about to drop a kid, they've got to do it on a Friday to make it work on both schedules... and Dr. Boob has to bump someone too. I'm waiting to hear back from the scheduler for a final confirmation.

This afternoon I had a boob MRI. Nobody mentioned the I.V., and while the gal doing me may have been a great radiology technician, she was a lousy phlebotomist. And I had to put stickers on my nipples which pulled like hell when I took them off. All in all, it was on the unpleasant side of neutral, but I got through it because I do not have claustrophobia issues. Still, I was wishing I'd had a clonopin before I went. I will have results on Friday when I see Dr. Boob for a pre-surgery follow-up.

I asked the gal if she knew what she was looking for based on the order. She said she had no idea. I asked if it was routine to have an MRI after a cancer diagnosis and before a mastectomy and she said no. Evidently they only do the MRI when the mammogram is crap. I am a little anxious about the results. Because nothing shows up on the mammogram, and the ultra sound can't get all the way down to the chest wall, I'm worried that there may be other lesions that we haven't found yet. Puppies and rainbows, puppies and rainbows, puppies and rainbows. This is really one of the last times we can get bad news. The MRI will also show some of the lymph nodes and it will be good to get a better picture of those as well. Based on the ultra sound, Dr. Boob said they look good, (not cancerous,) but again, we won't know until I'm on the table and the nodes are in the lab.

1 comment:

  1. Forza Robyn!! I really admire your strength. Thank you for doing this blog. Thanks to you tomorrow I will finally make the phone call for an appointment to have a mammography........... I have been procrastinating for 3 years. Carla

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.