4 February 2012

Book Learnin'

My husband has a lot of high falutin' book learnin' but I do not. I have good bald head on my shoulders and a grasp of how things work in the world. Often I will articulate a thought or feeling or theory I have and he will give it some credence through having studied some formal writings on the subject. Sometimes I even talk about stuff that other more famous people have figured out before me that have actual names and fields of study.

As I was working through my thoughts on the Komen Debaucle this week, I was having some trouble putting into words what I was trying to say. Dan summed it up for me. (Which I may get to later, we'll see.)

The subject dredges up a very complicated set of circumstances and positions. I don't know enough about Conservative thought to even begin to outline them. Because if I was to do so, I'd like to show both sides of the arguments that have been ripped open by this.

Compounding this was an article I read from the New Yorker (thanks for linking, Shevawn) detailing the history of PPFA and outlining a stance that Conservatives seized on abortion in the late 70's and 80's to swell their ranks and mobilize.

There is also an article making the rounds this week claiming that Conservative philosophy appeals to lower IQ individuals.

I am continually stunned that somehow, the Republicans have convinced a good portion of lower-middle class and poor to vote for them. WTF?

I'm feeling the need to bone up on conservatism, both traditional and modern, and liberalism. I already have a useless arts degree in English. It seems frivolous to go back and get an additional one in poli sci, but that is what is interesting me these days.

And the thought that Dan summed up? I was trying to articulate that I didn't think the government needed to stick its nose in marriage, etc. but needed to preserve a woman's choice over the vehement objections of a vocal faction who disagrees with the law of the land.  Yes abortion is a personal choice, but preventing unwanted pregnancies whether by birth control or abortion benefits society in general.  He said public policy should be about things that benefit/affect/harm the republic and society in general and not individual life choices made by citizens. (Or something like that.)
:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.