2 February 2012


Feeling Downright Irate....

This thing with the Komen Foundation and Planned Parenthood has gotten my knickers in a twist and I'm feeling like I need to climb the soap box.

It is my understanding, based on the NPR article, that Komen defunded PP because PP is under investigation for using government funds to provide abortions.  You know, legal medical procedures.  For its part, PP says they do not use any of the government funding to provide abortions, which make up about 3% of their annual budget.  16% of their budget goes towards providing reproductive cancer and breast cancer screenings.  35% goes towards STD testing and 35% for providing birth control.

While I do understand that some people are morally opposed to both birth control and abortions, I also know that they do so because they are pro-life.  Cancer screenings are pro-life as well.  Particularly for low income men and women who do not have any other access to healthcare.  Can some of my more conservative friends please explain to me how they justify cutting life saving medical access to the most marginalized group in this country, in the name of LIFE?

As for Komen, I've had a bit of a bone to pick with them for a while.  It's a big pink whale that has lost sight of its original charter - Susan's sister started it to raise funds for cancer research and raise awareness.  Political jockeying is an affront to Susan's memory and an insult to all of us who HAVE CANCER!

I said it last October and I maintain that the pink is meaningless, the save the ta-ta's slogans are all wrong, and while it is nice as a survivor to get a pat on the back, I don't need it as much as a widower whose wife lost the battle, a motherless child or grieving parents need sensitivity.

You know what's pink?  My mastectomy scars.  Thank god I had health insurance.
      

2 comments:

  1. "Do you know what's pink? my mastectomy scars" belongs on a t- shirt! Well put - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I can say to your blog, this post, your rawness is YES. YES.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.