21 November 2011

One of the Clowder

For those of you who don't know the difference between cats and dogs, here's a little primer. (Bear with me, this is relevant today.)

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

A dog's thought process: A ball! My favorite thing! A stick! My favorite thing! Dinner! My favorite thing! A nap on the bed! My favorite thing!

A cat's thought process: Day 728 of my captivity - the idiots who enslave me think it's cute when I bat at a foil ball. The fools! If I can just get them a little closer I'll be able to claw their eyes out and escape.

=====

I have noticed that the cats are restless and irritable on the weekends. I too have become irritable on the weekends. They look at the family with disgust, seeming to say, "Don't you people have somewhere to go?" (Get the hell out and leave me alone.) I feel much the same.

This whole cancer thing makes me very, very tired. Whether it's recovering from surgery or taking narcotics for pain/discomfort, or side effects of chemo, I spend a boat-load of time in bed. I'm pretty sure in the the past 10 weeks since surgery, I've spent more time in bed than the first 5 years of mommy-dom. Suddenly my priority is to lollygag in bed all day without wanting to do anything else. This has evidently earned the respect of the cats.

Cats are picky eaters, and eat mostly one food group: animal products.  I have become a picky eater, albeit eschewing animal products.

Cats like to be warm.  I used to always be warm, but now I find myself wanting to crank up the mattress pad and hop into bed just to warm up.

=====

Come Monday morning when the kids leave for school and Dan leaves for work, the cats and I hop back in/on bed and curl up for our daily/day-long nap.


















They have now accepted me as one of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.