12 September 2011

It Takes a Village

Everyone handles their own cancer in their own way.  I know people who thought of it as a deeply personal journey and were comfortable navigating on their own,  I know people who leaned heavily only on family and very very close friends and left the rest of the world out.  I don't do mine like that.

My philosophy is that it takes a village.  So I'm damn lucky I live in one.  When someone in our midst is stricken with an eeny-meeny-miney-mo kind of illness like cancer, it feels good to do a little something for them as a token, prayer or insurance policy against but-for-the-grace-of-god-go-I.  Having not had to deal with this before, I never realized how overwhelming the prospect of total debilitation is. You can bet that when I'm feeling better down the road I'll be helping out others in a more meaningful, well informed way.  It feels pretty good that I now have this knowledge.

When I tell people I have cancer, (and let's face it, I tell everyone,) the most common response I get is "I'll pray for you" or "You'll be in my prayers." I've got Baptists and Catholics and Jews (Oh, my!) all praying for me and I figure the more the merrier. May as well cover all the bases. ;-)  I believe in the power of prayer, but in a rather Jewish, practical way.  Pray as though everything depended on G-d; Act as though everything depended on you.  So my name is on the misheberach list, but I'm also going to the best breast surgeon I found and following an aggressive course of treatment.  You know, covering all of my bases.


It's hard to ask for help, not from the I'm-too-proud point of view, but more in the vein of I-don't-fold-my-towels-like-that. It's often harder for me to analyze and describe what I want/need than it is to just do it myself. Patricia is going nuts because I won't give her any specific needs (what/where/when) so she can match volunteers to them. And being the micro-manager that I am, having people mixing my nylon/silicon/wood cooking utensils in with my metal ones is going to drive me ape shit. But I'm going to have to let it go because I sure as hell won't feel like cooking.

I find no shame in having cancer.  Even if its a 'private' body part.  So I don't feel shy about people knowing.  I have a slight twinge when I say I'm having a double mastectomy and they automatically look at my chest, but that'll stop after the surgery when people feel they have to muster the self control - "Don't look at her chest, don't look at her chest, don't look at her chest!"  And don't worry - if you do slip up and I catch you staring at the alien shape of my expanders, it's not like I'm going to post your name on page in the blog.  (Even if I do like the idea.)  Yes, they kind of look like grey-scale fried eggs.  




1 comment:

  1. Expanders? Can you explain, please?

    We'll add to our prayers a request that your nerves be soothed. Can't hurt, right?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to send positive feedback. That is all I'm accepting right now. If you don't like my blog, try one of the other 300 million out there.